Laguna Canyon Foundation Trail Work Opportunities
SHARE’s partner, the Laguna Canyon Foundation…
coordinates all trail in Laguna Canyon Wilderness Park and Aliso and Wood Canyon Wilderness Park. Both parks offer miles of trails that we love to ride. Trail Work Season is in full swing and there are lots of opportunities to get involved and help out.
The Rapid Response Team – January 19
On Tuesday, January 19, Mike Hall needs two individuals (that’s all that he can fit in his truck) to assist him with working on installing erosion control measures on the unauthorized trails near Lizard in LCWP. Meet at Willow Staging Area and work from about 9 am – 12 pm. Contact Mike at email@example.com to make arrangements for this activity. Matthew Sutton will coordinate other Rapid Response Team activities for the upcoming weeks.
Trail Stewardship Day – January 23
AWCWP for January 23. We have changed our originally planned project and now plan to work on erosion control measures for the Stairsteps Trail above the DeWitt Property. This activity will run from 8 am – 12 pm as per usual. See below for specific meeting location details. Please RSVP to Matthew as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan on attending so that we can plan for the correct amount of food, snacks, tools, transportation to the work site, etc.
- Please wear long pants, sturdy close-toed shoes and sun protection (hat, sunscreen, etc.). Please bring at least 2 liters of water (preferably in reusable containers) and work gloves (if you have them—we have some available for loan if not).
- We will provide a light breakfast (bagels, donuts, fruit, coffee and juice) upon arrival, snack bars while out on the trail, and a light lunch (sandwiches, chips, fruit and sodas) when we get back from the work site.
- Directions to the DeWitt Property (DeWitt Property, Phillip’s Street, off of Laguna Canyon Rd, Laguna Beach, CA 92651): From the 5 and 405 Freeways – Heading south towards Laguna Beach on Hwy 133 (Laguna Canyon Rd.), take your first left after El Toro Rd and Annelise School onto Phillip’s Street (a very poorly marked street that has a yellow fire hydrant pole near the entrance). It is essentially across the street from the south end of Willow Staging Area. Drive about 200 feet up Phillip’s Street to the only house on the street. Park above the house and we will meet under the corrugated metal shade structure.
Trail Stewardship Day – DeWitt Restoration Planting in the Upper Ravine – January 30
Restoration Opportunity: DeWitt Restoration Planting in the Upper Ravine. This project will include the participation of volunteers from Transition Laguna Beach. We will work on digging holes and installing native tree species in the ravine.
- Date: Saturday, January 30th, 2016
- Time: 9:00 am — 1:00 pm
- Location: DeWitt Property, Phillips St. (just off Hwy 133/Laguna Canyon Rd., roughly across from Willow Staging Area)
- What to bring: Sturdy shoes, long pants, sun protection, water bottle, work gloves if you have them
- We’ll provide: Drinking water, snacks, tools, gloves
- Contact: Matthew at email@example.com or (310) 703-3341 for more information or to sign up.
Mark Your Calendar – Future Trail Stewardship Dates
- February 13 in LCWP
- February 28 in AWCWP